Jemez Historic Site
The Jemez Indians established the Pueblo of Giusewa (pronounced Gee-say-wah) among the hot springs of Jemez Valley around AD
It was a multistory village which may have contained as many as 1,000 rooms. Giusewa was first visited by Spanish in 1541. Later, in 1598, Franciscan missionaries came to convert the Jemez People to Christianity. By 1621, the priests along with their Native American converts had constructed San José de los Jémez Mission. However, the missionary effort ultimately failed. Brought on by suppression of the Native religion and a devastating drought, the Jemez joined the Pueblo Revolt on August 10, 1680. This culminated in the removal of the Spanish from northern New Mexico for the next 12 years.
The San José de los Jémez Mission, built in the Western Baroque style, rises at Giusewa with massive eight-foot-thick stone walls. An interpretive trail winds through the majestic site. An exhibition in the Visitor’s Center presents the history and culture of the Jemez People in their own words. Lodging and food are available in Jemez Springs.
New Mexico CulturePass
Your ticket to 15 exceptional Museums and Historic Sites. From Indian treasures to space exploration, world-class folk art to awesome dinosaurs—our museums and monuments celebrate the essence of New Mexico every day.
More Info »
Featured DCA Exhibitions
Named after International Space Hall of Fame Inductee and aeromedical pioneer Dr. John P. Stapp, the Air and Space Park consists of large space-related artifacts documenting mankinds exploration of space.
Dawn of the Dinosaurs, is the only exhibition in North America dedicated exclusively to the flora and fauna of the Triassic.
This exhibition traces Flamenco from its beginnings as a folkloric art form among the Gypsy people of southern Spain to its rise as an international art form enjoyed by millions. The exhibition features costumes, play bills, instruments, and paintings, complemented by lectures, workshops and performances.
During 2007 and 2008, flying at alarmingly low altitudes and slow speeds,photographer Adriel Heisey leaned out the door of his light plane, and holding his camera with both hands, re-photographed some of the Southwest’s most significant archaeological sites that Charles Lindbergh and his new bride Anne photographed in 1929.